THE SEA OF LETTERS. Literary Section of the Festival La MAR DE MUSICAS
La Mar de Letras stops this year, like the rest of the sections of La Mar de Músicas, in the Dominican Republic. Offering a program that tries to be a polyhedral look at the literary creation of that Caribbean country, very unknown but of great variety and richness, attending to its present and its future, but also to great milestones of the past, so important to understand the future of Dominican literature.
- Monday June 11 . 8:00 p.m. Consistory Palace Exhibition Hall l: Conversation "About Pedro Henríquez Ureña, a universal Dominican." Speakers: Eva Guerrero and Vicente Cervera
We will thus approach the figure of one of the greatest Dominican intellectuals of all time, the humanist Pedro Henríquez Ureña (1884-1946) and his valuable contribution to the history of Latin American culture. We will do it in the hands of two great specialists in his work, the director of the first European chair of Dominican Studies, the professor at the University of Salamanca Eva Guerrero, and the professor of Hispanic American Literature at the University of Murcia, Vicente Cervera .
- Tuesday: July 12, 11:30 Carlos III Exhibition Hall. Chat. "The dictatorship of Trujillo in the narrative: lights and shadows of history" Intervenes. Trinity Barrier . Presents Vicente Cervera . A historical moment that continues to leave an indelible mark on literary creation will also be analyzed. The dictatorship of Rafael Leónidas Trujillo , one of the bloodiest tyrannies in Latin America, is still throbbing in Dominican society and literature, and has given rise to a literary trail and a recurrent presence that we are going to trace with the intervention of the professor of the University of Seville Trinidad Barrera.
- Tuesday July 12 . 8:00 p.m. Exhibition hall Palacio Consistorial : Conversation : "The Dominican Republic and its poets" . Speakers: José Mármol and Plinio Chahín . Accompanies: Rosa Silveiro. The creative present of the Caribbean country, in which the poetic genre abounds and stands out, brings us closer to two consecrated names of its Letters: José Mármol and Plinio Chahín, great connoisseurs of the Dominican poetic tradition and owners of an extensive work both poetic and essayistic. The young writer Rosa Silverio, one of the most talented voices the island has given, will talk with them.
- Wednesday 13 July . 11:30 a.m. Regatta Club Terrace . Meeting with young Dominican writers. Speakers: Frank Báez , Rosa Silveiro, Alejandro González Luna. Accompanies: Juan de Dios García. They will talk about their works and the literary realities in which they operate.
- Wednesday July 13 . 8:30 p.m. Cornice Park. Recital "Poets in the garden" Participating Frank Báez , Rosa Silveiro, Alejandro González Luna, Juan de Dios García, Francisco Vicente Conesa . Guest artist: Signed, Carlota.Rosa Silverio, Frank Báez and Alejandro González Luna perfectly represent the different trends, themes, interests and desires that underlie the work of young Dominican creators, inside or outside their country of origin. To learn about his works, the poet from Cartagena Juan de Dios García will share a conversation in a relaxed act by the sea, also taking the baton in the recital that we have called "Poets in the garden", where we can hear their voices and that of the young poet from Cartagena. Francisco Vicente, all of them caressed by the delicious music of Signado Carlota, who will attend the recital as a guest artist.
- Thursday, July 14 : 11:30 a.m. T errace Club de Regatas . Literary meeting. Manuel Madrid (La Verdad) and Lara López (RNE), cultural journalists who are going to talk about their literary chores in line with their latest poetic publications.
- Thursday, July 14 , 8:00 p.m. Exhibition Hall of El Batel. Presentation of the book : "Memories of a music producer" . Javier Limón intervenes , in conversation with Amelia Castilla . These are the memoirs of one of the most important Spanish producers of the last two decades.
- Monday, July 18 , 11:30 a.m. Exhibition hall of El Batel. Presentation of the book: "La Mar de Paco" . Speakers: Amelia Castilla (author), Lara López and Lucy Durán.
The biographical work of the alma mater and creator of La Mar de Músicas, the unforgettable Paco Martín, is presented. An oral history built on the basis of interviews, documentation and memories that will be shared in a meeting with the journalist Lara López and the ethnomusicologist Lucy Durán, dear friends of Paco Martín and fundamental figures in the future of the festival.
- Thursday, July 21, 11:30 a.m. Exhibition hall of El Batel. Conversation. Literary Encounter with Rita Indiana . Speakers: Rita Indiana and María Teresa Vera-Rojas .
To finish, we will address the work of one of the most original storytellers on the island, Rita Indiana. The multifaceted artist, who will offer a concert in the framework of the Mar de Músicas, will reveal her literary profile in conversation with the researcher María Teresa Vera-Rojas, a great connoisseur of contemporary Hispanic Caribbean literature and culture.